Shop Interview With Pamela From CarrollsFarmCrafts

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/249428939/custom-sea-turtle-amish-knot-rag-rug?ref=shop_home_active_6
 
Today we have an interview with Pamela from CarrollsFarmCrafts! She makes some of the most amazing toothbrush rugs that I have ever seen. Plus she also makes lovely Nalbinding/toothbrush rug needles for anyone who wants to make their own rugs! I plan to post a product review of her wooden needles later this week. 
 
Hi Pamela, can you please tell us more about your shop and the products you make?

Many years ago, I had opened my Etsy shop under a different name with hopes of selling hand-made items. At the time, I had four young children and we had just begun our homeschooling adventure on our small farm, which meant there was very little time for creativeness. It sat there empty until last year when I decided to step out of my comfort zone and sell a few of my rag rugs and the needles that I have crafted.



https://www.etsy.com/listing/230201336/wooden-needle-personalized-for?ref=shop_home_active_4
Can you share a little history with us about toothbrush rugs?

They’re called toothbrush rugs because they were formally created using an old toothbrush that had been made into a needle. They’re also known as Amish-Knot rugs, and its roots can be traced back to Scandinavia. 
 


 
 
How did you get started with toothbrush rugs? What made you interested in them?
 
I love all things hand-made, but especially when it involves taking something old and turning it into something new. A close acquaintance of mine shared photos of her beautiful toothbrush rugs and offered to teach a class, and I could not pass up the opportunity. I’ve been hooked ever since.
 


What do you enjoy the most about making rugs with this technique?
 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/483061578/hoot-owl-custom-order-rug?ref=shop_home_active_1 
It’s simplicity and ease. I don’t have to keep track of stitches, which seems impossible with four children in the house. It's rewarding for me to create something that people would enjoy.



What are some of the benefits of making a toothbrush rug when compared to other types of rugs?
 
The only other technique that I have used so far to make rugs is to crochet them, and I found it hurt my hands after a while. I could literally work for hours on a toothbrush rug without any discomfort or pain, but I am always interested in learning new methods.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Can you tell us more about the different types of Nalbinding/toothbrush rug needles that you make?
 
My husband is in construction and often has scrap wood left over that he has kindly let me use. As of now, I have maple, oak, mahogany and zebra wood. I also make needles from the tines of deer antlers.
 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/274103788/unique-antler-needle-for?ref=shop_home_active_3
 
 
Thank you for joining us today Pam, do you have any other thoughts you would like to share?
 
Thank you for having me. For those interested, I also have a blog (carrollsfarmcrafts.wordpress.com/) and would be more than happy to help answer any questions people might have.
 
 
 
post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment